Saturday, June 25, 2011

Watch Felix Sturm vs. Matthew Macklin Live Online

Matthew Macklin’s focus is solely on beating Felix Sturm, but for boxing in these isles his challenge for the WBA middleweight title is the start of a fantastic double header.
Macklin is a fighter close to my heart. Though from Birmingham, Macklin is managed in Ireland and sees himself very much as part of the Irish fighting tradition.
If only.
Sturm has lost only twice, and the defeat to Oscar De La Hoya did not necessarily reflect the dynamic of the fight. Historically, Macklin has lacked stamina. You acquire big-fight stamina through years of constantly putting ¬yourself through the wringer, taking your body to the limit.
Not knowing who you are fighting, not having a defined career path through consistent ¬management is tough.
You have six months between fights, just ticking over, getting fed up, putting on weight etc.
And then when you take a fight, you might not be up for it. Sturm is not spectacular and Macklin knows this. WBA middleweight titlist Felix Sturm is favored as expected for today's fight against Matthew Macklin in Germany, and Kell Brook is an enormous favorite against veteran Lovemore N'dou in Sheffield, England. Sturm vs Macklin and Brook vs N'dou share the Sky Sports bill starting at 3:30 pm EDT, and Bad Left Hook will have live, round-by-round coverage of both fights.
Sturm vs Macklin
Macklin will be battling uphill in this fight as he's on the road in Cologne. In his career fighting in Germany, Sturm is 32-1-1, with his only loss coming via TKO-10 to Javier Castillejo in 2006.
Macklin has only truly fought abroad a couple of times, as all but two of his fights have been in the United Kingdom or Ireland. He was 2-0 in a pair of fights in the United States in 2005.
Three-time middleweight champion FELIX STURM (35-2-1, 15 KOs), of Germany, makes his 10th defense of his WBA middleweight title against top-rated contenderMATTHEW “Mack the Knife” MACKLIN (28-2, 19 KOs), of the UK, on Sunday June 25. Three-time middleweight champion FELIX STURM (35-2-1, 15 KOs), of Germany, makes his 10th defense of his WBA middleweight title against top-rated contender MATTHEW "Mack the Knife" MACKLIN (28-2, 19 KOs), of the UK, This Saturday June 25.
We had tremendous positive reaction to the first fight that we did, the Klitschko-Solis heavyweight title fight, at which point on our website we had almost 100,000 people entering into our EpixHD.com website and watching the fight live from Germany.

We also televised the fight live in Times Square on a big Jumbotron. Lennox did a great job. We think it's a brilliant fight for us to be televising. We think it'll perform well. So we're glad that we could be the exclusive American outlet, and we're looking forward to the fight.

Felix Sturm:I think Matthew is a great fighter. I think we all can expect a huge fight, a big fight, an all-action fight.

Matthew, welcome to the call. How's Germany? And how are you feeling as you approach your first world title fight?

I've won the European title twice, won the Irish title, the British title, and I've fought some really good opponents along the way. And, yes, I'm just really looking forward to the fight now.

The biggest fight of my life, you want it to be the best training camp of your life, and it has been. Matthew Macklin: He's very experienced. At one point, you were going to fight Winky Wright on the undercard of one of the Golden Boy shows here in the United States. Then you were going to get moved to fight on an undercard a week later. Matthew Macklin: Yes, of course. I'm one of those fighters - I'm prepared to fight anyone to prove what I believe that I'm capable of. Felix, you're one of the bigger names in the middleweight division. People in the United States certainly are still aware of you because of the fight that you gave Oscar De La Hoya several years ago. Many people thought that you were the winner of that fight. Felix Sturm: Well, of course I would like to come back in the U.S. and to fight there at the MGM Grand or Madison Square Garden, but I have to concentrate on Saturday's fight against Macklin. I was always ready to fight the big names (inaudible) it was not my mistake. I was always ready to fight everybody. But (we understand) (inaudible) they (inaudible) and I think we're on the right way (inaudible) (90,000 people in the arena) (inaudible) 90,000 people. Felix Sturm: No, I'm ready. I'm always ready to come back to the U.S. whole (inaudible) and to also (inaudible) like me (inaudible) from the judges, but I'm not scared to come back there. I'm not scared (inaudible) I think I'm a better fighter than I was seven years ago, and I think now (inaudible) to the fight (inaudible) somebody else (inaudible) fight (inaudible) I think (inaudible) because I'm now (inaudible) middleweight (inaudible) fight the best and I'm still ready to fight the best. I think there's (inaudible) huge fight (inaudible)

Do you think you're a better fighter now than the one that fought De La Hoya those
years ago?

Felix Sturm: Yes, of course. It was my (inaudible) Oscar De La Hoya (inaudible) also with (inaudible) so much experience. And there was a fight (inaudible) clearly by a knockout (inaudible) learned so much (inaudible) learned my lessons (inaudible) I think I'm a much better fighter than in the past, and, of course, I'm a better fighter (inaudible) great trainer, very, very smart, and he (inaudible) for us (inaudible) so much (inaudible) stronger and better fighter than in the past.

Felix even though people here in the U.S. don't get to watch you much, you've been very consistent fighting two and three times a year. You fought Hearns, and now you're
going basically a few months after with Macklin. Do you feel comfortable back in your
rhythm of two, three fights a year?

Felix Sturm: Yes, I feel very comfortable with three fights in a year. I'm a fighter who needs activity who needs to fight every four months. I think having a fight every four months keeps me sharp and (inaudible) and I think for me, it's good (inaudible) because I can (inaudible) and then I can (inaudible) preparation, and I think (inaudible) see a big difference (from the) first to the second fight (inaudible) come better and better (inaudible) and hopefully (inaudible) best performance.

Felix Sturm: You know, no (inaudible) best weapon. And I think (inaudible) for this fight, and (inaudible) make some new things (inaudible) I think (inaudible) three or four (inaudible) we both will show, and then after the fourth or fifth round, you will see who has the best game plan.

Matthew Macklin: Yes, definitely. I've beaten some good fighters. I've trained hard, and it's all gone well. Matthew, what was your toughest win in your career so far? Matthew Macklin: I'm not sure. My last fight was a tough win. Felix, what was your toughest win? Felix Sturm: Well, of course, it was the fight against Oscar. And at this point, I was (inaudible) and I think my lesson this evening was (inaudible) but you never know what happens in the ring. And I think (inaudible) title (inaudible) and I would (prepare) (inaudible) and I think Matthew will be in the best shape of his life. And also (inaudible) think you can beat everybody in the world (inaudible) I become world champion (inaudible) I (inaudible) can beat everybody in the world, I'm the best, and I've learned my lessons. I (inaudible) and I go (inaudible) champion.

Matt, you said your best performance has come against the best guys that you fight. Matthew Macklin: I'm not sure if that's the reason. Matthew Macklin: A couple hundred or few hundred fans are coming out to Germany. Matthew Macklin: Well, like you said, there are pros and cons. Everything has to jab, lots of jabs. At the press conference Saturday in Cologne, you said, we're going to see the best in you because it's a big fight. Have you held back in previous fights? Matthew Macklin: No, I've never held back. I've always been professional and trained just as hard for every fight. But I just think sometimes the nerves of the big fight makes you rise to the occasion. You use your jab well. Do you see this being a distance fight? Matthew Macklin: I mean, who knows? It could be a 12-round fight. I've trained hard. I think it's going to be a great fight. It could well be fight of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment